Sunday, October 19, 2008

Recommendation

Three posts in one day! A personal record, I think :-)

I read a terrific book this past week. It took me about three days... I could NOT put it down!! I usually only get to read while I am feeding Sam, but I didn't want to stop reading!!






Anyway, the book is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It is set in 19th century China and is the story of a woman's life (it is told autobiographically). Lily is 80 years old and is reflecting on her life. She talks about footbinding, finding friends, marriage and the losses she has through her life. There are moments that are quite depressing, but she figures out how to overcome her lot as a worthless girl in a country which thought of girls as lower than dogs.




It reminded me a bit of The Red Tent (which is one of my favorite books of all time). I highly recommend both books!!!

1 comment:

EngineerHousehold6 said...

Good to know. I'll have to look for them both (I've been trying to think of books for the feeding times coming soon).