Thursday, April 24, 2008

Why is it that...

I am almost a (dare I say it) 30 year old woman, who hasn't lived under my mom and dad's roof for nearly a decade, and I still follow some of the 'rules' that we had while growing up. Even some of the rules that were annoying at the time. Why is that?

Well, I broke a 'mama' rule :-)



Let me take you back...



When we were growing up (as I am sure that either of my sisters will attest), we went to family reunions, on the Turner side, yearly. We always ended up having fun, even if we were hesitant to want to go in the beginning (you know, too cool for that). Well, each year, we would bring this cherry/angel food cake/cream cheese concoction that would get completely eaten, usually before any of us had made it through the line to get it. We only got this dish around family reunion times. Why? I am not sure. But I loved this cake! Would beg to lick the bowl (cream cheese and cool whip combination bowl) and beg to tear the angel food cake into bite sized pieces (though when I did, there was a significant lack of pieces).



Fast forward...gasp... 20 years. I was making an angel food cake on Tuesday (they are zero fat cakes and can satisfy my sweet cravings). I hadn't thought about the cake in years. Really... hadn't thought about it. But on Tuesday, I did. So, I thought... hmmm.. I can't wait to be able to make one of those cakes.



HELLO?!?



My house... my rules. I don't have to wait until July! So, I made one. And it is as delicious as I remember. In an effort to keep fat/calories low, I did make some minor adjustments that probably weren't available when I was growing up. I made my own angel food cake, I used the reduced fat cream cheese and cool whip, and used no sugar added cherry pie filling.



Rob and the kids all like it too! This is something I don't have to feel guilty about giving them! Cool and refreshing... Quite good, if I say so myself :-)



My only issue? That I don't have a clear glass container to put it in and see all of the layers...

5 comments:

Dena said...

I don't know why I only made it for family reunions. I guess it was because it was so portable. You know, get it cold and it would stay cold for a good while. I do remember having it at other times though. Anytime I had to take a dessert anywhere, that is what i made, and still do because it always gets eaten up. I'm glad you have good memories of home, me and family reunions!
If I bring you a clear bowl, will you make me a homemade angelfood cake? By the way, it was called a "Punchbowl cake,"remember?

Analee said...

sounds like melissa will get a clear bowl for birthday #30. :)

Dena said...

BTW, I also used low fat and no sugar things. I always BOUGHT a cake because angel food cakes tend to be the cheapest cake you can buy! Although I have had one of these cakes made with regular old yellow cake mix, cooked and cut into cubes--didn't even have to pinch it, just cube it!
And I won't wait until your birthday. Analee, the last time I made it I put it in one of YOUR bowls (a pretty crystal bowl with blown glass leaves up the side--from a previous, ah, life of yours).

I'm to sexy for my chert said...

oh yum. my mouth started watering...which sucks cause it hurts.

Mrs. B said...

What's the recipe????