Thursday, March 18, 2010

Night Sounds

When the kids and I lived in NC in 2006/07 (during deployment #1), I went shopping with Analee and found a soothing sound machine that played ocean sounds. I put mine in a drawer somewhere and kind of forgot about it. Analee, however, used it in rKt's room since his birth. So, when I had Bones, I thought I'd bring it out for bedtime. It really did drown out the noise of the house and let him sleep better. I took it everywhere... when we traveled to NC last year, I took it. I always knew where it was.

Let me backtrack... we got them on clearance... for like $1. I really didn't expect it to last, but Analee had had such luck with hers. Hers only needed its batteries changed sparingly. So, when I started really relying on mine, I was disappointed that mine needed new batteries every two weeks. But I always had extras for the reason that I couldn't imagine having to get him to sleep without it.

Fast forward... our broke (about two months ago). Well, I thought that the batteries had gone bad, but when I opened her up, she had been corroded through the guts :-(

I was so desperate the night it broke that I set up my ipod speakers in Bones's room with nature sounds going. It worked, but anybody who knows me, knows that I need my ipod to go to sleep. So, I bought a new, fancier one. This one:


This one has six different sounds. It is wonderful. I would recommend it to anybody needing some white/relaxation noise.
I started Bones out with the ocean sounds, like the old one. Awesome. Close your eyes and you can almost feel the breeze coming off of the water. We've used all of the sounds now and I am shocked at the one that we love the most.

The Heartbeat! Because his room is next to mine, I hear the sounds too. And the first time I put it on, I kind of had a "Tell Tell Heart" moment in the middle of the night until I remembered what it was. Now, when I hear it, I can fall asleep SO fast! It really is comforting to hear another heartbeat. I guess it is why I like to sleep with my head on Rob's chest.

1 comment:

Analee said...

awesome - ours still works. i think the reason we don't have to replace the batteries as much is because we only play it for 15 to 30 minutes at a time... don't you play it all night for sam? i think we're on our 4th set of batteries now. maybe 5th, but that is pushing it. i can remember 4 for sure. and it was just 2 weeks ago that i replaced them the last time.

kendal loves it. he holds it at night now, sometimes at nap too. it is just as much a security object as his blanket.

thanks for telling me something "else" he can use when/if this breaks. is the new one battery or plug?