Saturday, March 20, 2010

Granddaddy Harris

Granddaddy Harris died this afternoon. Daddy and Aunt Melody were with him. These are the times that I really wish I wasn't a part of the Army (yes, I know I am not technically the one *in* the army, but the Army life is my life).

I wish that I lived 30 minutes from home.

I wish more than anything to be able to hug Daddy right NOW.

But I can't. So, in an attempt to stay positive, here are the things I am thankful for on this sad day:

1- I had 31 years of knowing Charles Harris as my granddaddy.

2- (completely selfish) I am glad that I haven't seen Granddaddy's decline in health. Though he wasn't as 'hip' as usual the last time I saw him, he was happy because the whole family was with him at Christmas.

3- Grandaddy is no longer in any pain and is watching over us with Grandma! I think he's just been waiting -- ready to reunite with her for the past (almost) 2 years.

4- Though I can't have Daddy with me right now, he and mom are coming out to visit in a week. Spring Break for mom is the same as for my kids, so they're coming out :-)

5- My girls (at least) will remember one of their great-grandfathers. I'm not sure about Josh, but here's hoping. I never knew any of mine. Have fond memories of two great grandmothers, but none of my great grandfathers.


**Note: This is one of the only pictures I have of Granddaddy. This was June 2009. We were all sitting under his pecan trees -- eating homemade ice cream :-)

5 comments:

I'm to sexy for my chert said...

SO it kinda washes over me in waves. I'll be fine and then I'll just start balling. I know it's a relief that he's not hurting anymore but it's still sad that he's gone. He'll be sitting with all his dogs at his feet, right next to grandma with all her cats in her lap, watching great grandma pull weeds out of her delicious strawberries...

Analee said...

i'm just not sad. he had the last laugh. yesterday, when he was eating ice cream. that was his joke. i sincerely believe that.

Analee said...

i didn't eve think about about thefact we never knew any of our great grandfathers. how special that is that we had 4 generations alive at one time. how lucky our children are - i hope they (and we) have his genes! especially the ones that "went so fast" - lord i hope i die that quick. :) especially with all my children alive, and with at least half of them by my side. he was one lucky man. i know he knew it, too.

Doc said...

Not that I knew your Grandma and Granddaddy very well, I had an interesting feeling Saturday evening washing the dishes.

While rinsing the dishes, your Grandma's face popped into my head, and she had a huge, vibrant smile. I took it to believe she was happy to have her husband back.

Analee said...

i just hope he had a fast fast car to drive to heaven. (speed-limit-free roads there? is heaven BEYOND what we can imagine?)
and grandma has a hot hot pan with some sausage to "burn" as granddaddy would say.
and a bucket of lard to make real biscuits. hahahaha

cause i want one when i get there.
and some of great grandma's strawberries. she always grew the best.