Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Post #1 of the day...

I am expecting to write more than once today... so be prepared :-)


So, after talking about and wanting to read Into the Wild before watching the movie, I finally did it. And let me tell you, I don't know if I want to watch it. I loved the book SO much that I don't want the movie to ruin it.


Has that ever happened to you? The first time that I can really recall this happening was in the 9th grade. In my english/history combo class, we read Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It was an awesome time to read it as we were talking about legal issues around genetic research in history and I was taking Biology and learning (basic) genetics too. I really liked the book and felt that I learned a lot. (*note* I don't think this was the best or most believable book, but it was a good read at the time - one of those made me want to find out more kinds of things) Well, the movie came out the following summer and I was STOKED!! I was there on opening night -- early -- and super excited. The movie started and within about 15 minutes I was starting to feel the glow of the movie fade. The people I went with eventually told me to shut up because I kept saying "oh, oh... watch this" and then when a part from the book was skipped, I felt I needed to fill them in ("what was supposed to happen was...").


Anyway, now when I find a book that I really do like, I am almost reluctant to watch the movie. People that have seen the movie (Into the Wild) have liked it... but I don't think anybody has read it (that I have talked to). Anybody out there read and watched? Still good? I am hopeful since this book is only 200 pgs and can maybe get all of the details in while only skimming parts (instead of skipping completely).

3 comments:

BrerSkwerl said...

It's funny you picked "Jurassic Park" as your movie, b/c that would be the main one I'd pick to say "Book was great, movie let me down b/c I'd read the book already"... But, I guess lots of people (more than normal) read that book, and just as many or more saw the movie...

For me, "The Perfect Storm" would be another one... I even liked the movie, but again, I couldn't stand the details they left out... I just don't think it's possible for them to make a movie to match the value found in a book...

BTW, ThanQ 4 making me feel awful darn old! ;) You read Jurassic Park in 9th grade? I know I waited at least a year to be able to find it in the library, but dang girl, I remember reading it on a college summer vacation (Which is odd, b/c as little as I read, and as lazy as I can be, why would I read a book on summer vacation?! ;) The hype and the science theme must have been too much for me to resist, as it you mentioned it was for you...)

OK, this blog must have struck some chord in my head, b/c here's one last movie, and I haven't seen the movie, and have no desire to... It's another popular book, so maybe that's all I read are popular books that one day are likely to be put to film... ;) But, "The DaVinci Code"... Read the book, but have no intentions, desires, or plans to ever see Tom Hanks' version!

Analee said...

i thought the movie, into the wild, was good. it made me cry. and i wasn't pregnant then either. maybe i was. i can't remember.

Mrs. B said...

The movie was done by Sean Penn who is known in the industry to be a real perfectionist. My guess is, he was as true to the book as he could be.

Oh, boy, could I go on and on about movies that were not as good as the book! Or, movies that are supposedly based on history (the one knows a lot about) that make all sorts of stuff up.

The one that comes to mind for me, though, is "Elizabeth" (both the one done 10 years ago and the most recent sequel with Cate Blanchet).

I think she does a respectful enough job as Elizabeth I (not as good a Helen Mirren, though).

The problem is, so much of what was in those movies simply was not true!

I remember watching the first one with my ex husband and he had to restrain me from shouting out (we were in a movie theater), "THAT didn't happen!"

And, this most recent one with all this hooey about her and Sir. Walter Raleigh...pleeeaasse. Give me a break.

And then, there is "The Other Boleyn Girl". Great read; stretched history somewhat (but the author admits it); the movie was an even bigger stretch.

The movie I am worried about that is coming out based on a book I loved is "The Time Traveler's Wife".

EXCELLENT book. Can the movie live up to it?

Well, Eric Bana is playing the lead role, that is, at least a good omen!