Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mini cupcakes

So I found this idea at Bakerella.com and thought that it was SO up my alley that I had to try them.


Basically, you bake a cake, put it in the food processor then add a batch of cream cheese frosting. Mix them all together and make little balls of goo. *Sound like oreo balls to anyone else?!?*

You then shape them into cupcake shapes (using a mini-flower cookie cutter) and dip them into chocolate -- this makes the bottom of the cupcakes. (I used Bakerella's cupcake on a stick idea instead of just the regular cupcake version)

When they get hard, you turn them over and dip the top (to make the top of the cupcakes). I added sprinkles. I thought I would hurry up the whole process by putting them into the freezer to harden the chocolate fast. Well... don't. Let them harden at room temp. If you put them in the freezer, they become WAY too hard.


So, I took them out of the freezer and they became sticky. I thought all was lost. I was ready to throw them all away. I accidentally left them out (covered with plastic) overnight. This morning -- DELICIOUS! There is something to them when they are room temperature. Slightly crunchy on the outside (from the chocolate) and super moist and ooey-gooey in the middle.

*Note to anyone who may try this -- the shaping isn't as easy as Bakerella makes it look... nor is the dipping process. Most of my cupcakes have a border around the middle that are lacking both bottom and top chocolates. Oh well... this was a first attempt. But I will probably make them again now that I have worked out some of the kinks.

1 comment:

Analee said...

i would have never guessed that in the first picture, they weren't real cupcakes. guess i needed the scale (in your hand, on a stick). they are SO cute. i like the sprinkles on them.