Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer Reading Program

So, with all of the downsides of being a military family (many moves away from family and friends, deployments, etc), there sure are some up sides too. The library on post has a summer reading program that ROCKS! Tuesdays and Wednesdays have completely different storytimes and crafts. Thursdays are the "big program" -- different people come in and do demonstrations or whatever for the kids. Now, I've heard of some great summer programs, but three days a week -- free!! Wow!


Today, the author of the Woody Books came, read one of the stories to the kids and then brought the dogs out to see the kids :-) Each kid got a pawprint stamp and got to pet the dogs. You could also buy some of the books there, but I skipped that one :-p It was neat.
Next week, a whip guy is coming. I guess he is going to show all sorts of whip tricks -- great... that is what I need my kids to know :-)

And the added bonus?!? Military dependent kids get free lunches all summer long. And the library is a lunch pick up point. So, three days of storytime/craft time PLUS the lunches are there when we leave so the kids get lunch on the way out. Awesome. Though I have found that I forget to eat when I don't have to fix for them. Guess I need to work on that!

1 comment:

Doc said...

Be wary of the whip!

A little anecdote...

Back in 1981/82, I saw Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I loved that movie and was bound to be like Indy. I'd dress up in khaki pants, put a collared shirt on and wear one of my dad's suit vests.

I put my holster on with my cap pistols and tucked a plastic knife in my waist. Then the bad part...I cut down a piece of my Mom's laundry line, then used it as a whip.

I was confronted by a larger kid in the neighborhood who said I looked silly, etc. I got map, drew my "whip", snapped it at him and popped him right in the forehead.

He ran home crying, and I was victorious. That is until his momma (Think Aunt Jemima) showed up at the front door with her son.

Guess who got the whipping that night?