Saturday, June 14, 2008

My newest friend

It is official. I have a new friend.

I have always suffered from some pretty difficult heartburn. Always. I remember being in high school and telling mom that I was having horrible chest pains and that I was pretty sure I was having a heart attack -- I was 16. She gave me some Tums and, miraculously, the pain stopped. During each of my previous three pregnancies, I was a Tums carrying fool. I was NEVER without it. Well, this baby is sitting so high that even the midwife commented on how my stomach probably didn't have much room.

So... my new friend? Zantac.

Not to be confused with Zanex... when the midwife first said she was giving me a prescription, I thought she said Zanex. I didn't understand why I needed the anti-anxiety stuff... but no, that isn't zantac.

Zantac is a wonderful, wonderful drug that is safe during pregnancy for ulcers and stomach acid issues. Wonderful. For the first time in a few months, I was able to sleep NOT propped up last night.

She told me to take two a day. Can't do it... I do NOT like medicines. Especially when I am pregnant. So, one a day - at night - has done the trick. Wonderful. But I will have to go back to Tums when my tummy isn't quite so compressed since zantac DOES pass through breastmilk. Though maybe that will make gas drops unnecessary :-)

2 comments:

Analee said...

i've never had bad heartburn, but it is good to know that there is something out there that will help it! maybe this baby will have a head full of RED hair!!!

Ariel said...

Meet my new love Zantac! hahahha...
It cures all the stomach acidity i've been going through. got it at www.medsheaven.com