Monday, June 16, 2008

Does anybody else...

have a brain that they wish they could shut off sometimes?

Here's an example...

I have foods that I want a lot of... not that I crave them, just that when I get them, I will eat the same thing for four days straight because that is what I want. Right now, it is my cold penne pasta with cucumbers, turkey and parmesan cheese with Caesar dressing -- loaded with freshly cracked pepper. I have wanted it since last Friday, but we didn't have any Caesar dressing. So, yesterday, we went to Meijer. Rob reminded me of our lack of dressing so off we went to the dressing aisle.

There it was. The answer to my food needs. Ken's Steak House Creamy Caesar Dressing... my favorite brand of this particular dressing. But what does my brain make me do?!? Flip the bottle over and look at the nutritional information. UGH!!! Two tablespoons of this stuff is 18 grams of fat ... EIGHTEEN. I looked at two bottles thinking maybe one of the labels was missing a '.' and it was supposed to read 1.8g. Nope. 18grams.

I couldn't do it. Could NOT rationalize it. I tried, too. I tried really hard -- "You're pregnant, you need the extra fat" "You're eating for two" "The midwife said it wouldn't do you bad to gain some more weight" You name it, I thought it.

Couldn't do it. My brain would not let me do it. So, I found some low-fat Caesar, which is good, but not the same. (Ken's also makes a low-fat Caesar, but it isn't creamy so wasn't what I wanted/needed...)

On a positive note, my kids like this dish too. Maybe they'll eat something other than PB&J tomorrow for lunch :-)

3 comments:

Analee said...

i'm the same way when it comes to buying cereal. if you look on the label, 95% of cereals (including all my favorites like fruity pebbles, apple jacks, captain crunch, chex, etc.) have BHT or BHA in them as a preservative. no matter how bad i crave them, i just will NOT buy them.

fortunately i found "peanut butter bumpers" which are the hippy version of PB captain crunch. they are awesome. nathaniel finished the last box. :( (they don't have them at FL, have to go to lowes food to find them.)

Analee said...

have you tried making your OWN caesar dressing?

Mrs. B said...

My husband makes a fantastic Caesar dressing, but, it's not creamy.

Have you tried mixing some of the Ken's Lite Caesar, with a bit of either lite or fat free creamy Italian? That might give you enough creamy but still keep the Caesar taste.