Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Thankfuls and catch-ups

First, my thankfuls:

1) Today, I put Rob back on a plane to Afghanistan. No, I am not thankful about that... but I am thankful that I got to have 2 wonderful weeks with him. I think back to military spouses of the past. I don't know how they did it! I get to talk to Rob at least once a week... granted the connection sucks and it is only for 10 minutes, but I get to hear his voice AT LEAST once a week, depending on where he is -- sometimes daily. Back in the day (WWII, for example), those ladies kissed their Soldier goodbye and didn't hear or see anything from them for YEARS. Years! I can't imagine.


2) There is just over 3 months left in this deployment. April cannot come soon enough for me!




3) So, tonight was a 'free' night at our house. Emotions were pretty raw, so we had a 'whatever' dinner (which ended up being mainly corndogs and nachos) and a movie -- kids' choice. What did they choose? Twilight! Of all things... Twilight. I was more than okay with that :-) We didn't watch the whole movie before it was bedtime, so looks like another Twilight night in my future
:-)




4) Found some tea that I bought about a month ago. When I brought the grocery bags in, Sam got the box and took off. I just found it. In my defense, we've only been here just over a week since then... But it was yummy tonight!

5) Went to Hobby Lobby today after the airport (come on... I was in Louisville anyway, right?) and got a new organizational container for my scrapbooking paper. They are in a magazine basket, which works fine... except that the corners of the pages at the bottom of the basket always wrinkle. Hopefully this will solve the problem... plus I'll have my basket back for magazines!
Now...
New Year's Resolutions. I'm putting this down in writing and I hope anybody who reads this will hold me accountable.


*1* and the one I think I will have success with ... Start using my fabric grocery bags. I own about 15 of the dang things. They sit in the back of my van, unused, because I forget to take them into the store with me. When the baggers at the commissary come out to load my groceries, I feel quite the fool when I say "Just put them on those [fabric] bags."


*2* get to the gym at least twice a week. I have gotten pretty good about doing some sort of exercise at home at night, but nothing beats the workout at the gym. Twice a week.


*3* breathe and be patient. Harder done than said...at least for me.

So... what's missing? My usual weight loss resolution. I'm not doing it. I don't care. I am healthy and relatively fit, so why should I care what the scale says. Muscle weighs more anyway, right?

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I really like your blog. I know you are counting down the days until Rob comes home. Praying for you and Rob! I love you guys!!!

SuperK said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us! i love hobby lobby. i wish we had one in NC. when i lived in Louisiana they were everywhere.

melissa, i think you are just the most amazing and strong person that i know. i really do. you handle so much and you do it all with grace and a smile. it's good to know that right now there are 4 amazing people growing up and they that will make this world a good place, because coming from a mama like you, they are going to know strength, love, and loyalty. and those are the most important things that we can all live and put back out there.

i hope that the end of this 3 months is just the beginning to a whole new chapter in your family's lives and you don't ever have to go through this again.

hang in there girl- i'm rooting for you