Thursday, January 8, 2009

My 4 year old got expelled -- and other adventures of the day



That is right... my 4 year old brought home a letter today saying that she had been 'excluded' from school until documentation was given that she had had her second dose of the HepA vaccine. Hello? Really? The regulation says that dose #2 should be administered at least 6 months apart. AT LEAST, people. She only hit her 6 month window two weeks ago. Is it really that drastic as to say she can't come back?!? PLUS, when did AT LEAST become AT EXACTLY? We got the notice just before school let out for Christmas break and I knew I was going to wait to take her until January. Anyway, it meant that I had to pack the little three back in the car and drag them into school. She had the shot yesterday, but I forgot to put the paperwork in her backpack because I was trying to get Sam a dr's appointment for this morning while getting the girls ready for school.

So, Sam did get an appointment for 840 this morning... I had to take a shower and dry hair and feed the baby and get Josh fed and ... and... and... so, of course, we left the house late. As I am sitting at the traffic light, I look down -- hmmm, where is my wallet (and enclosed ID, for that matter)? At home, that is where it is. In my library bag. Did I already mention that I was running late?




Finally got to the hospital parking lot, which is PACKED. I had to park on the very last row, almost to the end! Load up the boys and take off running -- much to Bubba's enjoyment :-) The parking lot was covered in ice, which made it even more interesting!

Sign in at the peds clinic only 5 minutes after the appointment time. Whew, we made it.

The nurse calls us back and puts us in the tiniest little room they have -- which made fitting the Sit 'N Stand double stroller interesting. Strip the baby down -- he pees all over everything. He weighs a whopping 16 lbs, 10 oz and is a massive 27 inches long! All of the worry that I had last month about him being 34th % was for nothing. He was about to go through a spurt :-)




While we had the doctor's attention, I talked to him about Sam's cough. He doesn't want to sleep unless propped up on my arm and when he does get to sleep he wakes himself up arching his back and screaming. I thought it was all because of drainage and not being able to breathe. Apparently, these are signs of infant acid reflux. So, as much as he looks like his daddy, poor baby got my acidic stomach, heartburn and all. He has a 2 week prescription of Zantac. I gave him his first dose today and he slept, peacefully, for almost 3 hours! That included when I picked him up and put him in the carseat to take him to school, brought him home and put him back in his bed! Amazing for him! Maybe this will make for some better nights, too :-) Hopefully.

So now we are home. G has a friend over and F just went down the street to play with one of her friends. Bub is quite upset, so i have to figure out something for him to do special, too. Any suggestions?!


7 comments:

Melissa said...

In case anybody is wondering -- we played lots of Uno :-) His personal favorite.

Analee said...

my favorite too!
we even have a log book of all our games... keeping up with a cumulative score. it is neat how it always tends to even itself out, no matter how far ahead or behind you get. of coarse i'm sure playing with a 3 year old isn't quite as challenging...

glad he took that 3 hour nap. now maybe he'll start on a regular sleep schedule like kendal did. it amazes me that they are the same size (plus or minus) and sam doesn't sleep! i always thought that k was growing while he slept so much! :)

speaking of sleep, k went to bed ok again tonight. yay! now if he'd only stay asleep... holly screams holy murder when we change her diaper. she has BAD diaper rash, think it is the wipes... using some that aren't the sensitive kind - but no worries, mom and dad hurried over with the butt creme! we'll see how it looks in 48 hours. if it hasn't improved, we'll go the dr on saturday morning!

EngineerHousehold6 said...

That is craziness over the shot! I understand that there are rules and all, but man no leeway at all.

I'm glad Sam is able to sleep better now! It's so frustrating when the little ones are crying and you can't comfort so they can stop. I've found Gripe Water helps Victoria when she gets to crying bad (for about an hour). Usually within 10 to 15 mins after I give her just half a dose for her age/weight she eats and goes to sleep (which is interesting trying to get her to swallow it in small bits without choking while she is crying).

Dena said...

Here's a good idea for something to do with Bubba.....SEND HIM TO ME!!!

Analee said...

yea mom come take your 16 month old grandson - he would wear you out in about 15 minutes flat...

at least bubba can sit still for a moment or two.

no wait, who am i thinking about? bubba can't sit still either!

"nutelis" when one has their **** decorated like a nautilus. (if you're old enough to know what the **** stands for, then you should be giggling!)

Analee said...

ps - i'm with #3 on the gripe water! i already have some on stand by for holly...

("logninon" - logging in anonymously)

Dena said...

Analee, I asked for Kendal to spend the night and you didn't let him. So I was willing to be "worn out in 15 minutes flat". Now don't you forget that. I would take Bubba too. I would find things for those boys to do....pick up rocks, etc. Bring them on....anytime...
Bubba can play UNO then he can play cards with me!