Thursday, February 5, 2009

Complete and total rants...

I know that I have a great life. I don't really have anything to complain TOO much about, but right now... I really need to complain for a minute.

The dishwasher.
I know I live on post and don't *technically* pay for service/maintenance costs, but really. Our dishwasher stopped cleaning. There was no water getting into the inside therefore no dishes were being cleaned. So, I call maintenance. Yep... we'll be out in 2 days. Cool. I'll wash dishes for 2 days. The maintenance guys come out and don't even know what they are doing. They have to get the manual out to try to figure it out. Forty-five minutes later, they are leaving and the dishwasher was, in fact, getting water. It still had a short in the door which prevented it from shutting off when you open the door. That is right... if it was running and you opened the door, you'd get wet. It ran for two washes. I loaded it the third time, started it up, went to dress Sam and came out of his room to a horrid, metallic-burning smell. Hmmm... the dishwasher sounded like it was running, but no water. So the heating coil in the bottom of the dishwasher was basically burning up. When I opened the door -- it didn't turn off -- and smoke poured out. So I immediately call maintenance, honestly thinking this would be an emergency. Hello?!? My dishwasher was smoking. As I am talking to the lady, I was pushing the reset button on the door - which sometimes will turn it off... if you push long enough. Finally, after literally five minutes, the dishwasher turns off. So what does this mean... no longer an emergency -- we'll be out in three days. Now... enter the ice storm that shut down everything. Another flippin five days go by and the rescheduled maintenance visit happens. The guy (who is the head of appliance maintenance) comes out, is here for 10 minutes and condemns the thing with 4 deficiencies that would individually deadline the dishwasher. And guess what?!? There are no dishwashers in the warehouse and they are going to have to ORDER ONE!! I got a call today that there is one here. And they'll be here on Monday to put it in. So, start to finish, 14 days I have been washing dishes. I hate washing dishes.

Punishment vs Reward.
So, Rob is leaving again. Afghanistan this time. I am having a hard time coming to terms with this because we had already planned out our next PSC, which was supposed to happen this summer. We were going to Germany. I was SO excited. Then the battalion came down on orders. I had my hopes up that Rob would be changing out of command before the deployment, since he has done his year of command (which is the minimum time of a good command). Okay, so he wouldn't get 18 months, but it won't hurt him. But NO -- because he is such a GOOD commander, he has to stay in command for the deployment. That means he is going to have approximately 27 months in command! Un-freakin'-heard of. Why are we being punished for Rob being a GOOD commander? Dang that work ethic.

Computer Virus.
Somehow got a virus that only shows up on my profile. McAfee Virus/Spyware scans don't detect anything. How can you remove something the computer says isn't there? Ugh.

On a good note, Faith's medicine is working and she is doing much better.

3 comments:

Analee said...

i've been without a working dishwasher since the first week or so we lived in this house.

i'm sad rob is leaving again. a very common phrase spoken in our house is "i don't know how my sister does it!" now it'll mean even more with no "relief" (help) at night!

lavasoft adaware - free program that detects and destroys spyware. we've tried several programs for it and it works best. we also use mcafee for viruses, but it doesn't do anything for spyware.

glad her meds are working. mine are too. my nose was running today but at least it was clear! and running... previously it was thick, green/yellow (tmi?), and not really running except when i took a shower. i'm thankful to be able to blow something out!

Emily Davis said...

Hi Melissa!

After reading this blog, I really have nothing to complain about!

I lived in a trailer with my husband for 2 years without a dishwasher-no problem because I was previously in an apartment with no dishwasher. Now that I have one in my house that works beautifully, I would DIE without it!!!!!!!

EngineerHousehold6 said...

Sorry you had dishwasher issues! That sucks.

Tom was telling me the other day about the orders. It seems to be a common theme with them though. Tom was a PL for at least 26 months! Crazy. Sorry to hear you all "got stuck". Germany would be awesome. We're hoping to get stationed there some day.

I'm glad Faith is doing better. It's hard when the kiddos are sick.