Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Things I learn while fixing my coffee

Today, I learned:

*1*trust your gut
*2*don't judge a book by it's cover
*3*don't be too quick to *fix* something that you aren't positive is broken

That's a lot to learn just from one cup of coffee! Here's how it happened:

I poured my coffee, half&half and SF sweetener into my cup but, for some reason, didn't stir it. I put up the sweetener and half&half but left the room for a minute. When I came back, I couldn't remember if I had sweetened my coffee. I knew that I had put the sweetener back, but couldn't remember if it was when I put the can of coffee itself up. *Lesson #1* Surely I wouldn't have put the sweetener up without using it. I should have trusted that I used it. However... I didn't trust that. So, I added more sweetener. *Lesson #2* The coffee looked dark to me, and I figured that if I didn't add sweetener, I must not have added the half&half either. Instead of STIRRING the coffee to be sure (you know how heavier creams kind of settle), I just added more.

So what did I end up with? Super sweetened half&half with a little bit of coffee.



*Lesson #3*

Lesson #3 can be applied to SO many aspects of my life. Sometimes I find myself jumping in to "help" the kids {and Rob, if I'm being perfectly honest} when, really, they are doing just fine. Maybe they do something differently than I would, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. I need to breathe and watch. Maybe I'll learn a new and better way of doing something!

So, that is what I'm taking from my super sweet, almost undrinkable coffee on the morning. And to make sure the lesson is truly learned? I'm drinking every syrupy drop :-p

No comments: