Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Burp Cloths

So, I've wanted to start using my sewing machine again for a while. With so many people I know having babies, I thought I'd use it as a reason to make something. I have found that I really love all of my homemade baby gifts (not that I don't appreciate and love the other things too). So, I looked online and found my way to homemadebyjill. She makes homemade burp cloths. I thought... that can't be TOO hard, so I decided to take it on. Though, they would be much easier if I'd already gotten my birthday present from the girls (I picked out a new pair of fabric shears and showed them over and over to both girls :-)).


Well, I have done it. So far, I have made 6. The first one is OBVIOUSLY the first one. The last two are really done well (for my experience level at sewing). I am giving the turtles to a friend who had a boy two weeks ago (better late than never... plus they are burp cloths - she'll be able to use them for a while, right?!?) and the two pink are for a girl across the circle from us who had a baby girl last Thursday (SO tiny!! She was only 6lbs, 8 oz... well under my 8lb minimum :-)).





Anyway, here they are...

Four done...

they fold nicely in half or quarters (see pink)...

showing both sides (this is BEFORE washing... the edges fray when washed as you can see with the pink ones)


pink ones have yellow on backs -- see the fray? They will continue to fray with every wash.

On a completely different topic... don't you WISH you could sleep like this?!? Quite a thinker, huh :-)

1 comment:

EngineerHousehold6 said...

You could always get a set of pinking sheers or one of the circular blade cutters (for quilting) to add a different shape to the sides too. I like the frayed look of the pink ones though!

I agree with you on the homemade gifts. I appreciate everything I get, but the homemade ones show they took the extra step to personalize it.

He is so cute in that picture! I wish I could just sleep through the night though! lol

Amanda