Monday, August 23, 2010

Parenting Techniques

Let me start with two disclaimers. First, I do not think I am the perfect parent. I make more mistakes in one day, as a parent, than other people do in a week. In general, I don't think there are 'good' parents versus 'bad' parents. Second, this turned into a rambling rant... sorry!

I am not the poster child of motherhood. But I kiss each of my children to bed each night, after saying (or listening to) prayers with them and before telling them I love them. I thank God daily that I have been blessed to be their mama.

However, I am fiercely protective. Sometimes overly critical. I am not one of those uber-patient parents... I have surprising LITTLE patience. I have been known to raise my voice. I use guilt when they have done something they know they shouldn't. And I have extreme expectations of them.

I got that. I own it. I make mistakes. Hopefully, though, I learn from (at least most of) them.

That being said, sometimes I get fascinated by other people's parenting. I'm not at all saying that I am RIGHT and they are WRONG. Just different ways of accomplishing what we are all trying to accomplish. Raise good, strong, independent people. There are times, though... well, let's just say, I'd like to be the kind of person to walk up to another and say "WHAT were you thinking?!?"

Example? Okay :-)

We went to the water park again yesterday. Awesome time. This time Rob went (though he was nursing a severely 'tweaked' back). Fun time. BUT... we were standing in the shallower area with the boys while the girls were playing just to our left in some deeper water (though still not more than 3-1/2 ft). All of a sudden, the lifeguard jumps in just beside the girls. {Talk about scaring this mama to death!} There was a little guy -- smaller than Bones -- underwater. Couldn't swim. No flotation device being worn. No parent in sight. Takes a few minutes to locate mom... who was too busy TEXTING in her chair by the side of the pool. Really? WHAT were you thinking?!?

Now, I know that I don't know everything. Maybe there were circumstances. Who knows? Maybe she was a 'plant' to test the skills of the lifeguards. Maybe she was getting a text from her husband who's in Afghanistan and is telling her he's safely home from a convoy. I don't know. I just know that the thought of sitting on the side of the pool paying no attention while my toddler (no older than 2), who can't swim, is in water over his head makes me nauseous.

Maybe I'm overly cautious -- no, I take that back. I KNOW that I am overly cautious with my children. I wouldn't let G & F go in the deeper area without a parent. In my mind, I'm keeping them safe. They are both weak swimmers, at best. Maybe my cautious-ness (is that a word?) is why they are not better swimmers.

I have thought of that little guy all night. I don't want to be a judgemental person. I try not to 'judge a book by its cover', but all I can think about is -- if this little guy is getting that little attention at the POOL, what's he getting at HOME? So... Bones is getting attention enough for two today. He has been sitting in my lap this whole blog post, watching SpongeBob, still in his PJs. And I don't think he could get much happier. Well, unless I gave him a cookie. But it's only 0915hrs... and this mean ol' mama doesn't allow cookies until at least 10!

No comments: